Sunday, August 4, 2013

Pirate's Booty

Marty and I went to Puerto Rico a few weeks ago for a vacation. We loved it! There were some spectacular sights such as the Bioluminescent Bay and El Yunque Rainforest. We flew in on Monday and spent the rest of the day getting our rental car, finding our hotel, and exploring San Juan at night. I tried mofondo for the first time. I really liked it but after a week of eating it I got a little tired of it. It is mashed plantain bananas. It doesn't taste like bananas but more like a potato. The rainforest was beautiful. I was able to bring back some umbrella leaves and some colored rocks that the native Puerto Ricans used to mark themselves for various ceremonies. After our visit to the rainforest, we went on a bio bay tour. This is probably the coolest thing I have ever seen. It was kind of like Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disneyland only we rowed ocean kayaks and it lasted for two hours. I am sure Disneyland was trying to recreate this beautiful area. We started out rowing through a mangrove forest and then into the bay. By the time we got to the bay it was getting dark. Once it was dark we were instructed to move our hands around in the water. The microorganisms living in the water glow when there is movement. This was really cool. The darker the skies got the brighter the water would glow. We played in the water for quite a while. It was pitch dark on our way back through the mangrove forest. We had little lights on the ends of our kayaks to help guide us back to shore. Occasionally we would row into the roots of the mangroves but most of time we just enjoyed the fireflies over head and the still glowing water. I really loved the bio bay and will do it again if I get the chance! The next day it rained most of the day. We decided to drive around Puerto Rico in search of good beaches and Puerto Rican roasted pork. We found a good beach that is famous for surfing in December. In between rain showers we swam and played in the water. On our way back to the bathrooms to change clothes, a man called to us. He said something like, "hey, are you guys white?" when we responded he asked us to come over and talk to him. Once we walked over to him we realized that he was really drunk. He asked us where we were from and then proceeded to tell us all about himself. He has been in PR for about 19 years. He told us that he was a pirate and that he makes his living smuggling drugs in and out of the United States. I was thinking about grabbing my camera and snapping a picture when he decided to show us that he was a white man who had a very dark tan. He stood up, turned around, and pulled his swimming trunks down to show us his tan line. A real pirate's booty! The next day the rain cleared up and we toured old San Juan. That was really a hot but fun day. On our last day we went snorkeling. I continue to have my sea sickness problems but I did not throw up. I actually was able to snorkel for about an hour. We saw tons of fish and even a sting ray. Puerto Rico is a wonderful place to play and relax! We loved it.

3 comments:

Kathleen said...

our sounds like a really fun place to visit!

Anonymous said...

HOW fun...

Bonnie said...

I have always wanted to go to Puerto Rico. Now I have to go! It sounds like so much fun.