Friday, April 22, 2011

Hauling Home Hong Kong

Our first full day in Hong Kong was spent going to church, finding Hard Rock Cafe, going to Victoria Peak, and eating at TGI Friday's.

After being stuck in the hotel's maze the night before, we headed out early for church. We got there about 30 minutes before it started. We went to an English speaking ward and attended Sacrament Meeting. After church we decided to look for Hard Rock Cafe on our way to Victoria's Peak.

We did our homework on this Hard Rock Cafe, we did not want another experience like the one we had in Beijing. I looked up the address on the internet and found that they were in the process of opening the cafe and store. We found a map and asked for help along the way and finally ended up at the Hard Rock Cafe. We spoke to a few of the employees and found out that they were having a staff and family night in preparation of the grand opening the next day... long story short.... we left, came the next morning to find that they were waiting for a license from the city and that they would be open around 3. Monday at 5 we were there and they were still not open. A lady from Portugal who was there to train the employees felt sorry for us and said she would sell us the shirts if we had cash. We left feeling pretty happy.

Back to Sunday-- It started to rain as we left Hard Rock Cafe empty handed as we headed for Victoria's Peak. We found the bus which took us to the top of the peak. We were looking for the tram but not speaking Cantonese we did not know when to stop. The top of this national monument was like a big mall. There were escalators all the way to the stop and at every level there were shops. We bought some candy at a candy store and that was our lunch. (We really didn't eat much in Hong Kong). We found the tram that headed down the mountain but it was raining quite hard and it was so foggy they were not even selling tickets.

We headed down the escalators and took pictures along the way when we noticed the clouds had parted and the rain had stopped. We went back up the stairs and got on the tram down the mountain. We had a great view of the city and took a few great pictures.

Bonnie and I were starving when we got back and decided to go to TGI Fridays. The only Mexican food they had was a Nacho appetizer. We split it between the both of us and then headed for our hotel.

As we walked along the streets of Hong Kong throughout the day we noticed hundreds of women sitting outside on blanket. When it rained they moved to the underpasses and to the inside of the pedestrian walkways. At first I thought they were waiting for a huge sale or grand opening give away, but when they filled the city I ruled that out. We found out later (from the Portugal woman at Hard Rock) that these ladies were servants and nannies. Sundays were their only day off and they had no other place to go. They all seemed pretty happy, many had shopping bags, most of them were playing cards or doing each others hair.

On Monday we started shopping. Bonnie makes a great shopping partner. In fact when she is in Dallas and I am in Utah we go shopping together over the phone we do this by shopping at the same store at the same time looking at the same things. Shopping with Bonnie was so much fun!

After our disappointing walk to Hard Rock Cafe, we headed to Stanley Market. When we first got there it seemed that things were overly priced and that one one was really interested in bartering, but as we continued to walk, things got cheaper and people were more willing to go down on their prices. I bought two cameras, one to replace the one I dropped in the girls dormitory back in Beijing and the other as an upgrade. I haven't looked at it yet- sure hope it takes a decent picture.

We bought jade, jewelry, scarves, tea sets, and lunch and then headed for the hotel. After emptying our suitcase and backpack we went on a Hong Kong harbor cruise. I forgot to take something for motion sickness but I did pretty well. The sights were beautiful and we were so glad that we went. The hour cruise was just what we needed to revive us for the Lady's market.

The Lady's market is known for the clothes, scarves, tablecloths, handbags, and jewelry. We bought pretty much all of the things mentioned above. We left around 10:00 making our first shopping day in Hong Kong a big success. We went to the hotel, put everything out on the beds and admired all of our wonderful treasures. We packed them in our suitcases and called finished our 17 hour shopping day with a smile.

Tuesday we headed for mainland China to a place called Shenzhen. We were able to purchase strands of pearls for amazing prices. I bought a jade ship and Bonnie bought a beautiful jade vase. We also purchased China dolls to torment future granddaughters. (We remembered being tortured as children with China dolls we could not play). Our final purchases were designer handbags.

We were invited to shop at a "warehouse" and Bonnie was all for it- I kept thinking of the report I helped Sarah with on human trafficking. I was pretty nervous as we followed a man across the street into a hotel room- down an elevator into a basement and then into a hotel room. I kept telling Bonnie that we should not be there and that I felt that uncomfortable. She kept going, I kept following. It all worked out well and we ended up in a warehouse full of designer handbags. I, of course had her go in first and tell me if it was safe.

I bought a couple of real (to me) Louis Vuitton purses. Bonnie also bought some really pretty purses. We traveled back to Hong Kong, emptied our bags and headed to the night market to finish our Hong Kong shopping. We were exhausted by the time they closed the night market. Our bags were full, our feet were aching, our wallets were almost empty but we were happy.

We did not even take out our purchases, we went to bed and crashed for about 6 hours. The next morning we went to the grocery store to buy some food and candy to take to the states with us.

Our plane left Hong Kong at 2 in the afternoon on Wednesday. We flew to Beijing and had a 3 or so hour layover. We left China at 6:00 at night and got into LA around 6 Wednesday night. The plane ride wasn't too bad. I drugged myself and slept a few hours. As soon as I got to LA I ordered some Mexican food, funny how I did not want Chinese.

I am still suffering from jet lag. I am wide awake right now. I almost fell asleep while driving home from school today. Last night, I was so tired when I went to bed only to wake up at 1 in the morning for 3 hours. Hopefully tonight will be better.

I enjoyed my trip to China so much! I only have one regret--I should have bought more ties!

4 comments:

Megan said...

My mom showed me all of her deals on Wednesday and it took a long time to see everything. It was so fun to see all of the good stuff that you guys bought.

Kathleen said...

i'm excited to hear more stories on sunday!!

Kathleen said...

also, i LOVE all the things you brought me!

Bonnie said...

I thought it was so funny that you kept warning me about becoming a sex slave. I am really glad we went to that warehouse! Thanks for not bailing on me because you helped to lower the price of the bags by acting disinterested and like you wanted to get out of there. I was so glad that we both had the stamina for two 17 hour shopping days in a row. My only regret was that we didn't buy more of everything!