Monday, May 2, 2011

Why Teenage Boys Still Need Their Mothers



I used to think that getting a boy ready for prom would be easier than getting a girl ready, after a few Saturdays ago, I have changed my mind.

Sometimes, boys are just not on the ball. Since coming home from China, I have been reminding him to order the corsage, clean out his car and make reservations at the restaurant.

I ended up calling the restaurant, picking up his corsage, and telling him to at least shake out the floor mats in his car.

Joe borrowed a gold shirt and bought a white tie, from Savers, to match his date's white dress with gold sash. I thought it would look a little tacky, but I figured that he had it under control... I was wrong. About an hour and a half before he was to pick up his date, Marty sent me a text saying how the shirt Joe borrowed was not really a shirt, but a woman's blouse.

Joe's plan was to go to Saver's and pick up another gold shirt... or just wear the silky woman's blouse (the tie would cover the buttons on the wrong side of the blouse). Not wanting Joe to be embarrassed a few years from now, I went to the store in search of a nice gold shirt.

I thought my chances of finding a gold shirt would be better if I went to Mens' Warehouse. Come to find out, there hasn't been a men's gold shirt on the store shelf since 1977. I found yellow, tan, and brown... but not gold.

Sarah, Silvia, and I quickly found a white shirt with a gold/yellow tie and gold pocket silk. I had them steam the shirt and press the pocket silk while I paid them.

I knew Joe would be disappointed with our selection, but I also knew his date wouldn't be embarrassed. When I got home I faced Joe's disappointment and told him to at least shake out the car's floor mats before he got into the shower.

He was running late after his shower and could not find a clean white under shirt. He decided to wear his white shirt with a huge black giraffe on it--(inside out) for his undershirt. Figuring he wasn't against wearing a woman's shirt I tried to find one of my white tee shirts. He claims he found a clean white tee shirt in his room so he wouldn't have to wear mine.

Just as he was getting ready to go, I noticed that someone forgot to shave. At this time he was pretty mad at me for ruining prom and making him late. I didn't have too much to loose, so I made him shave.


I waited up for him to see how prom went. He came home a little after midnight. He wasn't mad at me any more and he seemed to have had a good time.

4 comments:

BreAnn said...

HAHA, that is hilarious! An HOUR before prom, that is really cutting it down to the wire! He'll thank you years from now, I'm sure!

Anonymous said...

OH MY HECK YOU KILL ME !!!!!!! Love the story. Carol

Bonnie said...

That was the like the Gold shirt Jeff was going to wear to Prom 7 years ago. I think his had darts. I saved him from that one too.

Megan said...

That is so funny. After much hard work on your part, Joe looked great! His date owes you big time.